Monday 21 January 2008

Training journalists online -- a response

I think paul conley is missing the point in his response to my last post.

His message would be valid if following the thought experiment "how would you build a newsroom from scratch if you had £x million?"

Certainly, other people have weighed in on what seems to me to be a technology-rich, but experience-poor, position.

Mindy McAdams has been oft-cited, but then uses her blog to expand training possibilities for people who, while perfectly adequate reporters or copy editors, "don't get" the web. Bravo. If there were more people like her in newsrooms, I doubt we would be having this debate.

Pat Thornton,
as mentioned in a previous post, would do well to look up the meaning of the word "culture". Added to that, he should probably check "iconoclast" because most of the semi-religious veneration online seems to be for people who can use Facebook, MySpace, bebo, flickr and twitter rather than a telephone.

All of those Web 2.0 platforms are fantastic resources, fantastic means to promote your journalism and your chosen medium and fantastic developments in technology generally, but not one is a replacement for a well placed, well phrased, well timed question. And that, alas, is what cannot be taught. It can, however, be learned.

The fact is that most newsrooms have existing staff that do a very good job chasing stories, making calls, using contacts, etc, in order to get stories. Denying yourself their experience and ability just because you "get" a 10-year-old concept and they "don't get it" is a little short-sighted and will diminish your online efforts whether they "get it" or not.

To quote Paul, and I agree with him on this 100 per cent:

"What journalists -- all journalists -- need is curiosity, open-mindedness and a willingness to learn."

In my experience, that is what cannot be fixed by training -- the platform on which someone's work appears is irrelevant and there are bigger fish to fry.

Journalists, by and large, are employees-- newspapers are businesses. If newspapers expect a certain return from their existing staff, they have to be very clear about what they expect. If the business cannot convince the journalists of the merits of the web, that is a different story. But how many have really tried? I am reminded of the lament of Ned Flanders's beatnik parents at their inability to control an unruly child: "I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas".

Is it a failing of the journalists to see the light or a failure of management to make the case?

If you want to take a proactive approach, you could do worse than follow Howard Owens's advice on Objectives for today's non-wired journalist as endorsed by Jeff Jarvis.

That's just technology -- it's no mystery -- it's reasonably easily taught.

You stand to lose a lot more by sacking the technologically inexperienced web-skeptics than you do by hiring the journalistically inexperienced web-acolytes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To assume that anyone with Web experience or skills is journalistically unsound or inexperienced is incredibly naive.

I have an honors degree in journalism. I have been published in eight different newspapers. I still write for my current newspaper and do freelance writing on the side. I know how to ask a question. I know journalism ethics.

I know journalism.

And I know the Web.

I'm not saying to fire people just because they don't have Web skills, but I am saying that people fundamentally learn Web skills through curiosity, not through classroom teachings. I am willing to teach people skills if they are apart of the Web culture.

But if you don't have the Internet at home (and you can afford it), I'm not teaching you Web skills. You'll never get it. I'm not teaching writing skills to someone who never reads. It's just not happening.

I can understand not knowing the ins-and-outs of journalism writing, but if you don't read and write in your spare time, you'll never be a good writer. The Web is the same way.

That's what it is all about. There are people who use the Web, understand the technology but never got the Web skills. I can work with them. I can't work with the people who have willfully neglected the Web for years, but now want skills to save their jobs.

Saving your own hide is not why I want to teach people something knew.